Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A New Year, A New Goal

It's nearly the end of the first month of 2014 and already I am behind in getting started here with my blog.
So, let's talk goals. Last year's goal of 52 books and 52 movies was very successful for the books end, but only partly successful for movies. Hope springs eternal however, and I am broadening my aims this year. This year, the theme is "Slimming down while Bulking up"

Slimming down 

Health & Fitness-- I want to drop 40 pounds this year. In order to do that, I will dedicate to working out for 52 hours over the coming year. That's an hour a week, which I think is entirely do-able. I have a few fitness related goals included in that, such as doing a snowshoeing daytrip with a friend of mine to a local mountain.

Cleaning: I'm going with 52 hours here too -- of cleaning. I have a teacher's room and a computer room that desperately need sorting through and re-organizing. And a closet I don't think I have cleaned in 15....20 years? Wow. Time flies when you are studiously working on other stuff.

Bulking up:

Fitness (again) -- I want to increase my muscle mass. Not decided just yet how that is going to happen -- biking and dogwalking definitely. WIll need to incorporate weights but that may wait till halfway through the year. Need cardio first.

Movie Watching -- Yeah, weird when I want to get more active. But I feel like I have missed out by not watching a wider variety of stuff. Or not watching movies period. I am very bad about treating myself to outside entertainment. The goal is 52 movies here again. We'll see how many I get to this time. Last year, I watched 5 I think. No, six: Princess Mononoke, Hobbit (pt 1), Iron Man 3, Despicable Me, My neighbour Totoro, and Coraline.

Books-- the 52 rule here too. I'm trying to broaden my scope here too.

Jobs -- I am looking for either another part time job, or a full-time job to replace the one I currently have. In this case, the bulking up is my bank account. I want to get some of those student loans paid down/off. And I would love to pay off one of my credit cards. So -- you guessed it -- a ton of resumes being sent out this year.

Crafting -- we all knew I would get to this eventually. I fully expect to craft well more than 52 items this year. I have signed up for a sampler blanket knit along. And, overachiever that I am, I have decided to make a blanket big enough for my bed. Which will require my making 117 6 inch blanket squares. I want to get that done before the end of the year. Which means at least 10 squares to be made each month. (Yes, I know the math is off. Borders are needed. And seaming together.So, time must be allowed for both of those.)

But the world was nice to me and had a sale on yarn earlier this month. I managed to go the one day when the yarn that I was intending to use was 50% off. So I got 30 skeins for 75 dollars (2.50 each!) If you aren't a crafter, trust me, that is a serious bargoon. I was expecting to pay at least 120 dollars for that much yarn.
Wondering what that many skeins look like? Something like this:



Relationships:  I plan to devote a lot more time to my relationships with friends and family this year as well.

And finally, blogging all of these things much more frequently that I do now. I would say once a week, but that kind of regularity is probably beyond me. If I get updates twice a month, I'll be doing well.

Geez, with plans like these, when I am I going to find time to sleep?  :P



No comments:

Post a Comment